Saturday, March 6, 2010

No more diapers! (At least until another month.) :)

The happiest moment of my parenting journey so far...Evan being potty trained! I dreaded this soooooo bad that I kept putting it off even though I knew he was ready. I am still so surprised that he's done so good in such a short amount of time. Every single person that I talked to and book that I've read advised me to wait to potty train him after the baby is born since I'm only weeks away from delivery. I knew I was crazy to try this with me being 9 months pregnant, but I know Evan. He's ready, he's been ready. He kept throwing fits because he wanted to wear his Cars underwear. That was the sure sign. I explained to him that he couldn't pee pee in his Cars underwear, that he had to pee pee potty. He said ok and we went for it. I decided to try it and not stress over it. If he got it, great. If he had lots of trouble, then I'd try again after Gavin's born. And thankfully he got it!

I opted to do what I call "potty training boot camp". It involved staying home as much as possible for 3-4 days in a row and keeping him in real underwear, no diapers. I have to say, it really wasn't that bad. Of course there were accidents, but overall, he got it pretty quickly. The little stinker even went all day at MDO without an accident, even during his nap, only 3 days after we started training. And he's in the 1 year class where no one else is potty trained or training. How proud am I of my boy? :) For the past two days, he's been shuffled around from my sister to my mom, aunt and grandma and he has told them every time he's had to use the potty! It's only been a week since we started...I'm so proud of him!!

So this is a shout out to my little Ev...I love you and am SOOOO proud of you! Thank you for making this easy on me while I'm 9 months pregnant! :)

0 comments: